The electric guitar is one of the most beautiful instruments in the world. It's actually no surprise that so many people, both young and old, want to learn how to play it.
Learning to play the electric guitar can prove to be a life changing experience. It can literally open you up to a whole new world of possibilities.
Before you can learn to play the guitar, you must first get a guitar that you can use to practice and hone your skills with.
To help you make the best possible decision, we have put together a list of the top 5 best beginner electric guitars currently on the market.
Whether you are 10 or 80, one of these guitars is guaranteed to capture your attention. Not only will they appeal to your style, but you should also have no problem finding one that fits your budget.
Be sure to read this entire article as you will find tips that will help you find the best electric guitar for your personal needs.
Top 5 Best Beginner Electric Guitars
The LyxPro 39 inch Electric Guitar Kit Bundle is a complete guitar set that comes with everything you need to start playing.
It is a full size guitar that is perfect for both beginners and intermediate players. It is made using high quality materials including a premium Rosewood fingerboard and a Canadian Maple neck.
The bundle comes with a 20 watt amp that has a built in speaker, headphone jack and AUX input cable that gives you the ability to play along with music on your phone. There are also integrated controls that allow you to control the gain, bass, treble, volume, and grind.
For easy tuning it comes with a digital clip on tuner and instruction book. This all in one set makes learning to play the guitar as easy as 1...2...3.
- Perfect for beginners.
- Outstanding craftsmanship.
- Comes as a complete kit with everything you need to get started.
- The included guitar bag is not made out of quality materials.
- COMPLETE GUITAR SET | Ultimate Starter Package Includes Full Size Guitar & All the Parts & Equipment They Need to Rock Straight Out the Box | Perfect Choice for Novice & Intermediate Players
- 39 INCH ELECTRIC GUITAR | Perfect for beginner and intermediate players Plug In Guitar Features High-Quality Materials Including Premium Rosewood Fingerboard, Canadian Maple Neck, Volume/Tone, S-S-S pickups, Knobs & More
- 20 WATT AMPLIFIER WITH CABLE | Pack Includes 20W Amp with Built In Speaker, Headphone Jack & AUX Input for Playing Along to Music on Phone or MP3 Player | Integrated Controls Include Gain, Bass, Treble, Volume & Grind
- DIGITAL TUNER & ACCESSORIES | Battery-Operated Mini Clip-On Tuner & Instruction Book Teaches Kids to Tune Their Guitar for Best Sound Quality | Kit Also Comes with  Steel Strings,  Picks & Comfortable Shoulder Strap
- GIVE THE GIFT OF BEAUTIFUL MUSIC | All-in-One Set for Dummies is a Budding Musician’s Dream | From Home to School to Lessons, Learning the Guitar Has Never Been So Easy! | Perfect Present for Christmas, Birthday & Beyond
The RockJam 6 ST is one of the most accessible, high quality, full size electric guitars RockJam has made to date.
It is a super pack which means it comes with everything you would need to get started. Right out the box you will get a guitar strap, picks, a gig bag, a set of spare strings, and a 10 watt amp.
It also comes with a whammy bar which is great for when you learn how to play string bending licks.
One thing that really makes this guitar stand out are the free lessons it comes with. Anyone who purchases this guitar will receive 2 months of live face to face guitar lessons for free. This means you will be able to learn the guitar at a much faster pace than the average beginner.
- High quality finish.
- Complete set that comes with everything you need to start playing right out the box.
- Comes with a 10 watt amplifier with headphone output.
- Features 3x single coil pickups.
- Some users have complained about the strings being low quality.
- Full-size electric guitar with three single-coil pickups to change your sound and a whammy bar. Its ST design will accommodate will players of all ages.
- This electric guitar kit includes a 10-watt guitar amp with tone and gain controls. It also has a headphone output so you can practice in privacy.
- Electric guitar bag for easy portability and protection.
- Electric guitar strap accommodates different playing styles.
- Spare electric guitar strings and guitar plectrums complete this package.
The Squier by Fender Affinity is the more affordable version of the Fender Stratocaster. It comes with everything you need to start rocking right out the box.
The neck of the guitar is in the shape of a “C” which gives it a nice, comfortable grip. And thanks to the two single-coil Strat pickups you will get that classic Strat sound you can only get with a Fender.
Add that to the humbucking bridge pickup and you have a full sound that cannot be matched. The Fender Frontman 15G guitar amplifier has both clean and overdrive channels and can provide you with 15 watts of pure power.
So that you are able to quickly get your skills up to par, Fender Play offers an online platform for all new and returning guitar players. Within this platform there are lessons, as well as a very extensive song library, that can be used to learn the needed skills to play the guitar.
- Comes with everything you need to start playing.
- Includes a free 3-month subscription to Fender Play.
- Available in two colors. Brown Sunburst or Candy Apple Red.
- Exceptional intonation.
- Strings are very close together which makes it not ideal for an adult.
- Comfortable “C”-shaped neck profile
- One humbucking bridge pickup; two single-coil Strat pickups
- Vintage-style tremolo bridge
- Includes free 3-month subscription to Fender Play, padded gig bag, Frontman 15G guitar amplifier, instrument cable, instrument strap, picks
- Available in Brown Sunburst or Candy Apple Red
The ZENY 39” is a full size, right handed guitar. It is ideal for beginners and comes ready to use right out the box.
This starter package comes with an amp and a nylon carrying case for easy storage. If you are a travelling musician, you will love this case. And though small in size, the 10 watt amp is quite loud. It runs on batteries which makes it very easy to move around.
The amp comes with an 8ft guitar cable so you can easily connect your instrument to it.
This guitar has an all wood construction which gives it a good level of durability. It also has a very attractive, smooth finish.
- Comes with everything you need to get started.
- Made using quality materials.
- 10 watt amp can run on batteries.
- Great value for the money.
- The quality of the amplifier is not that good.
- Right-handed electric guitar with accessories is ideal for beginners and is ready to use out of the box
- Comes with a nylon carrying case perfect for traveling musicians and easy storage
- Made of an all wood construction, steel strings, and an attractive, smooth finish
- Neck: maple wood with truss rod ; String Length: 25.59" / 650mm. Comes with an amplifier, nylon carrying case, extra strings, strap, cable, and guitar picks
This is one of the best guitars for children who are just learning to play. It is the perfect size which makes it easier for someone with small hands to develop finger strength and hand eye coordination.
The craftsmanship is top notch on this guitar. It features the classic s-type electric guitar style design that children tend to love.
It has an all wood construction with a glossy, attractive finish. This makes it strong enough to make it through the numerous practice sessions children go through.
The 5 watt amp comes with a strap and cable cord. You can literally start rocking as soon as you take it out the box.
If your little musician loves to take his or her show on the road, the included carrying case will ensure the instrument is safely stored when not in use.
- Comes as a complete starter kit.
- Very affordable.
- Quality craftsmanship.
- Perfect size for children.
- Users have complained about the amp being of poor quality.
- PERFECT SIZE FOR KIDS: No need to wait until their arms grow to reach those low notes, with a guitar their size, kids can learn to play from an early age and switch to a full-sized model once they've grown in size and skill
- SINGLE COIL PICKUP: Designed with pickup that converts vibrations to a rich, electric rock tone for hours of jam sessions
- HIGH-QUALITY: This guitar is designed to look and play just like a standard-sized one, with an all-wood build and shiny finish for long-lasting use
- COMPLETE ALL-IN-ONE GUITAR KIT: No need to purchase any additional accessories, this all-inclusive set comes with an amplifier, carrying case, extra strings, strap, cable, and pick
- AMPLIFIER INCLUDED: This 5-watt, battery operated amp clips on to the guitar to strengthen pickup signals and magnify your music; OVERALL DIMENSIONS: 9"(L) x 30"(H)
Best Beginner Electric Guitar Buyers Guide
Finding the best beginner electric guitar is not as easy as you might think. You can’t just shake a crystal ball and get the right answer.
The only way to find the right one is to do research on the various options that are available. Here are a few things you need to look for when buying an electric guitar.
Who Is The Guitar For?
Are you buying for a child or an adult. This is extremely important as it will determine what size guitar you will need. You also want to make sure you get a guitar that matches the style and taste of the budding player.
If you choose a guitar that doesn’t line up with their preferences, chances are they will not enjoy playing it, like buying a bass guitar for someone that wants to play a classical guitar.
For beginners, the most important thing you want is a guitar that is easy to play and stays in tune. Yes, looks and body style matter. But what good is an amazing looking guitar that is super difficult to play?
Keep in mind you will get what you pay for. If you want a quality electric guitar, expect to pay a quality price.
What Is Your Budget?
While getting a guitar won’t require a second mortgage, having a budget is still in your best interest. For most people price is the one factor that will determine which guitar they choose to purchase.
When you are buying for a beginner, you should avoid spending too much money. While you do want a decent guitar, you want to steer clear of anything that’s in the thousands. Save that for when the beginner is more serious about playing. You may also wish to consider the manufacturer brand reputation.
When doing your budget keep in mind you may need to buy additional accessories.
To determine if an electric guitar is of good quality, you will first need to listen to the sound it produces. The melody an instrument is able to produce will depend on how it is built. So in order to determine the sound quality, you must first look at what the essential parts of the guitar are made out of.
The body is the main part of the guitar. You can choose between a solid body, hollow body, or semi-hollow body. Each one has a different resonance and will impact the instrument differently. If you are looking for a soft sound, go with a hollow or semi-hollow body. If you want a heavier sound opt for a solid body.
The type of wood used affects the tone and the sustain of the guitar. As you can imagine, there are quite a few different types of wood that can be used on the body of the guitar.
Some of the more popular ones include Alder, Basswood, Maple, Mahogany, Walnut, and Rosewood.
As for the neck, there are only two options. You can either get maple or mahogany mixed with other types of wood.
Type of Pick-Ups
Pick-ups are more significant than you might realize. They are one of the things that can affect the amount of noise the guitar produces.
You have two options when it comes to pick-ups. Single-coil or humbucker. The humbucker produces the least amount of noise while the single coil is louder.
Type of Bridge
The bridge is what the strings of the guitar are attached to. The two main types are the fixed bridge and the tremolo bridge.
If you want tuning that is steady and a great sustain, the fixed bridge will deliver. If on the other hand you are the type of musician that loves to experiment, the tremolo bridge is a better option for you.
Everyone is different and will have different preferences when it comes to what they are looking for in an electric guitar. Don’t be afraid to explore the various options until you find the one that captures your attention.
Frequently Asked Questions
Should a Beginner Buy an Expensive Guitar?
We hit on this a bit earlier when discussing the importance of having a budget. We personally believe that having an expensive guitar as a beginner is not necessary.
As a beginner you have not developed your skills enough to get the full potential out of an expensive guitar. You will not have the ear sensitivity to even notice the subtle differences in tone that are produced by different guitars.
As a beginner you shouldn’t concern yourself with how expensive a guitar is or all the gear you might need one day, like a delay pedal. You should instead focus on the setup of the guitar. Does it come with everything you need to practice and hone your skills?
As you hone your skills you can start looking into the more expensive guitars. Until then stick with the more affordable options.
Can I Play an Electric Guitar Without an Amp?
In one word, yes..you can plan an electric guitar without an amp. However, the guitar will not project as much as it would when it is plugged into an amp.
Talk to any musician, and they will tell you an amplifier is a critical part of the overall setup. However, as a beginner you can get away with not having an amplifier. Especially if you are short of cash.
If this is the case, just buy the guitar first. Once you get some more money you can invest in an amplifier. Another option is to invest in a complete kit which will automatically come with an amplifier. The electric guitars we reviewed above all come with an amplifier.
The good news is there are some really great alternatives to using an amp. The first one is to connect your guitar to a home stereo system. With this option you may not need an amp at all.
If you can figure out how to make it work, it can prove to be a very inexpensive option. Especially when you consider most people already have some sort of stereo system in their homes.
Other than the stereo, you may need to get a connector from your local electronics store. Generally speaking this should cost you no more than $5.
Before connecting your guitar to your home stereo system, make sure the volume is all the way down. This way there will be no surges that may end up causing damage to the equipment.
The second option is to hook up the guitar to a pair of headphones. This is probably the easiest and quickest option.
Are Electric Guitars Good For Beginners?
Yes, electric guitars are good for beginners. Most beginners have a hard time playing chords. The great thing about the electric guitar when compared to the acoustic guitar, is the chords are a lot easier to hold down.
The strings are also a lot softer which is better for your fingertips. Especially if you are not used to rubbing up against the strings.
The one big issue a beginner might have with an electric guitar is its price. Electric guitars tend to be more expensive than acoustic guitars due to the additional accessories that need to be purchased.
Either way, if you are just learning to play the guitar, the electric guitar is a great way to start.
Is It Easier To Play Electric Guitar Than Acoustic?
This really boils down to preference. Both the acoustic guitar and the electric guitar have their advantages for beginners. However, some people may find it easier to play the electric guitar, while others may find it easier to play the acoustic guitar.
As previously stated, the strings on an acoustic guitar are hard. And because the strings are so tough, it causes your fingers to become fatigued. Once your fingers become fatigued, playing chords becomes very difficult.
Electric guitars on the other hand provide a greater level of comfort. This is in large part due to the length of the neck. It is shorter than the neck on the acoustic guitar which makes it easier to play the chords.
The strings on an electric guitar are softer than those on an acoustic guitar. This makes practicing for hours an easy thing to do. Most people avoid practicing due to the soreness it causes their fingers.
With an electric guitar you don’t have to worry about that. You can play for hours on end without your fingers getting fatigued.
Overall we would say electric guitars are easier to play. Especially for beginners. However, we would also recommend you learn how to play an acoustic guitar because in some musical productions, that is what is called for.
Learning to play both will make you a double threat.